Wednesday 10 April 2019

Finished drama + Evaluation/Reflection

   After 2-3 tough weeks, in which we had to overcome a lot of unexpected situations and work as a team, our short drama is finally finished and can be watched on the following link: https://vimeo.com/328624279 .



   I believe that the final version of our drama was both technically and narratively good, yet it could’ve been done way better and more complex, if we had the necessary time. From the outside, the drama can appear a bit too lifeless, in terms of colouring, and somehow moves from one scene to another a bit too fast. 
   It would’ve been great to have some additional shots and/or a clear happy ending, as well a comedic type of script, in order to fade out the depressive state, as in I reckon that some viewers didn't want to be left in bitterness. However, I consider that the dog’s noises brought life to this piece of work and helped in creating the illusion of a real animal. 

   Throughout the whole time, I tried to take my job as a director and editor seriously, knowing that the whole team mostly depended on my pre-devised ideas and on the fluidity and coherence of the editing process. 
   Usually, it's better for me to see things and locations with my own eyes than to visualise them in my head only. Still, the fictional and real world were almost the same, that’s why I had to focus more on the actor’s performance all the time, since he also improvised in some moments.

   One of the issues we’ve encountered so far, and that troubled my mind a bit, was caused by the continuous leisure of Lee during the post-production, who seemed too bothered or bored to do something on his own, even after I help him export one of the audio pieces he created for the drama. I really don’t like working with this type of people, so it can be a bit tough for me to stay calm and guide them even though. 

   From all this experience, I've learnt more about the drama genre; about how the characters should be portrayed, either descriptively or visually; I could practice my directing skills more, as in how to technically explain my vision, but also non-verbally, through the drama’s overall form; I’ve come across a really passionate and devoted person, who’ve become an inspiration for me during the whole process, after seeing his thinking, working style and hearing about his life experience.

   In the future, I will surely try to use again the two totally different perspectives (ideally of a human and of an animal) and work more on the idea of interaction, reaction, emotion and differentiation, since I believe it’s a really creative yet out of the ordinary concept, that can be clearly dramatic, dark, depressive, funny, but also cinematic (especially with sounds designed to appear diegetic and are in fact non-diegetic, an impactful soundtrack/suitable ambiance noise and colours that mimic the reality).

   Considering my role in the team, I can say that I've tried to see from their perspectives as well, not wanting to harm them with a sudden decision or a drastic change. However, for the last idea, we had to shoot the whole film with only three people and I can say that we mostly edited in the same formula, as Lee helped us with sound only when we would ask him to, having no visible intention to do something on his own.
   All the time I was nice, calm and I explained to them the confusing parts, I helped and listened to them every time needed and concurrently, this experience strengthened the fact that some people aren’t reliable or keen to improve at all, but this should never hold you back from doing your job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment